Friday, October 17, 2008

My quest for perfection!

We all have quest for perfection, some of us acknowledge it, and some of us expect it and some just compromise with it. I wonder if quest for perfection was something infused in us by birth or it is unattainable desire we all have within us. Are we all created to attain perfection if so we all should be perfect as the firework which works in sequence or as perfect as traffic lights which work on the programmed timing, but we are nothing like them. Why?

Human beings are also conditioned to accept or work hard to attain perfection; it starts from mother’s womb when a mom desires a perfect baby, a baby with sleek nose, sharp eyes and big smile. Every step of the growth reminds us about the perfection and levels vary from person to person, it is a never ending race which starts from the childhood and keeps till we move to the other world. Concept of perfections starts to sink in when a mom boosts to her friends that her child is perfect, what she doesn’t see is that it is her unconditional love for the child.
As we grow we all look for that perfect person who we all know does not exist but we still love to live in our own created world of deception and belief that there is some one perfect over there, a perfect match, a perfect boyfriend, a perfect girlfriend or a perfect husband and wife! Certainly we create dream world of our imaginations around us and those imaginations include what we want from others not what we have for others. We all aspire for what is higher then us or what is hard to attain and especially in relationships we go above and beyond to impress assumable future partner and each word said is sugar coated, boundaries of dreams and desires reach beyond the boundaries of moon and stars. We all try to be on our best behavior, share our best side, my question is how long can you sustain which is not you, but I admire a desire to change for the better and desire again leads us towards the beautiful pink door of perfection a world of dreams where pastures are green and birds sing beautiful songs every morning and evening to wake you up.
Expectation is a big empty sack which has no weight when you walk into any relationship with it but it is not too long when it starts filling itself with the pebbles of disappointments, arguments and deception. We all in order to keep alive what we have, what we love…. extend ourselves to all the measures which can make us perfect and desirable. It is not only in our world but also happens in animal kingdom, they too look for perfection in their mate, and certainly the criteria’s are different from ours.

We are conditioned to seek perfection and perfection comes in different forms, as a young man and women it starts from the appearances, What our eyes seek as a perfection is some one with proportionate physique, tall but not too tall, thin but not too thin, eyes to be certain way with certain colors, nose to be sharp but not too long or short, so is with the cheeks. Hair too is an issue, if you have less hair, which too is a major issue and makes you out of the category of the perfection. You will be lucky if you have all these short comings and still manage to be on someone’s perfect list. People not only change their behaviors but also their out look as well. We are witness to the ever increasing plastic surgery which fills in the as a gap wish to be perfect, I have many friends who have opted to go under knife just to make sure that they look perfect. My question, is looking perfect can make you perfect? Answer is no. Each time I try to find a perfect person the first question comes to my mind how many short comings do I have, if I start counting, the number is way beyond my finger tips. I sit back and question myself if I have so many flaws, what right do I have to expect or demand perfection from some one else. We all are tested on different levels, sometimes people think we are just a waste on the earth and other time some one would come and say Gosh you are perfect and that is the moment when I start looking at myself and then gaze the person who made comment, my first reaction may be she had little more then she should have consumed, or she really doesn’t know me. I do have doubts about myself so do millions, but we all try to project an image of perfection. I like what someone said “Every one is weird once you get to know them”

As human beings we are created with elements like emotions, pain, love, lust, greed, ego, pride and anger and to overcome these is not that easy. Recently I met a very beautiful person who has been feeling very low, I asked for the reason and answer was she does not feel as beautiful as she used to, my question to her was what makes a person beautiful and her obvious answer was I know it is not the skin but the beauty inside, I think she is very intelligent and collected person but still she was feeling insecure and less desirable. I found I was too incompetent of an individual to reason with her or to make her change her mind, she was not only mentally prepared to change her looks by increasing and decreasing certain parts of her body but was willing to go an extra mile to please someone people around her. I thought of millions of those people, who go through the plastic surgery to enhance their looks, every one has a different reason but the ultimate goal is to be desirable and feel needed. I admire their courage to change themselves for the simple reason to be a likeable person and I wonder if inner qualities or the outer shell makes a person desirable and I wonder what is after this? How much an individual can change him/her to be perfect?

An old epic story as per the Hindu mythology a man by the name of Vishwa Mittra who was a very pious person, he took oath virgnhood for rest of his life in order to attain control of Heaven, he was seeking perfection in himself despite the fact that all human beings are created with emotions and weaknesses, we can make an effort to be perfect but it is something which is hard to attain. In order to take control of the Heaven Vishwa Mittra went to the woods for pious worship, after many years of worship he was able to keep himself away from all material and earthly enticements, which has became the cause of concern for Indra (Controller of Heaven). He was having sleepless nights with the thought that he might lose his station to an ordinary man. He was looking for options to break his oath so he decided to send two beautiful women from the heaven to Entice Vishwa Mitra and they were not only able to entice Vishwa Mittra but also had his baby. He ended up fathering children with beautiful heavenly angels and forgot his mission. By indulging in physical relationship he lost his claim to the Heaven. It was something which was in him but he was fighting not only to his inner conscious but also his desire to stay away from the women in order to attain perfection but unfortunately he realized that perfection is something you can wish and desire for but you can’t hang yourself by the hook to attain it. This does indicate that all of us no matter how perfect we consider ourselves still attaining perfection is far distance a dream.

My friends always have issues, because the enter into a relationship with the beautiful dream that their admirer is perfect, certainly no ones fault but we all try to show our perfect side to impress or convey our desirability, which starts fading as two individuals come to know each other, some times it takes days and in other cases it takes plenty of years. How easy is it for two individuals to think on the same wave length? It is rare and not often two people think or have similar chain of thoughts, but still two people can live a very happy and fulfilled life if they don’t expect other to be perfect because we are not, Trust me if we were we will be not be deep thinkers or people with emotions, tears would never touch our eyes and heart would have no blues for any one, we will never feel pain.

I wish I could see my shortcomings before I search perfection in others, In Guru Granth Sahib, it says “My desire of finding faults in others took me to a place of no return! But when I sat down and searched inside me I could not find any one more sinner then I am!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment