Saturday, January 22, 2011

What I lost with Turban

Hard to Imagine how many changes I have seen into myself, not only have I seen myself growing from a kid to a young man and now I am looking for that sunset. The most drastic of all the changes was change in my personal appearance. I was 15 when I started wearing Turban, a symbol of honor and nobility, I used to feel very different and empowered, I was always more matured then my age and now when I speak I don't even recognise myself and often I am forced to ask myself a question.... Who are you? .....and that is the question I cant find an answer. it is not that I am not the same person I used to be but there is something which died in me with that Turban. Not that I was or am attached to my Turban but I always felt empowered and my presence made helpless and poor comfortable. Sikhs were always seen as protectors and saviors, though I was a little kid but lot older people especially women folk felt safer in the presence of a Sikh, Says this 55 year old Gurbachan Singh who had to cut his hair in 1984 to survive the Wrath of Hindu fundamentalists.
You in a Misty and fogy day may miss the Ifal tower but you wont miss a Sikh gentlemen if one is on the road. Sikh are given a very unique and distinctive look, which makes it harder for the Sikhs to hide or blend in the crowd, Thousands were massacred after the assassination of the Indian Prime Minister in 1984, just because they were different and could be identified because of their Turban. Many Thousand of Men women and Kids were done to death, their fault? they were born Sikhs and were wearing Turbans. (Subject is too painful to touch).
The definition of Sikh is Saint and a solider does not fit that well in the modern world which has designated law enforcement agencies but 500 years ago Sikhs provided a sigh of relief to all those who were tossed around or converted to Islam by force. Sikhs fought 100 plus years as a Solider and Saint not against Islam but the fanaticism of few who were hell bent to convert every one to Islam. Sikhs fought when they had no option but to protect the rights and life of poor and helpless. Being Saint and Soldier they not only fought the enemy but also provided them water and attended to their wounds, as most of the enemy were fighting under orders of the fanatic ruler of the Era.
I grew up in a place where Sikh population was next to nothing, with 98% of Muslim population, it was an interesting way of life. Whenever in market or in school, people could not stop looking at you and I always felt may be I was too good looking that people cant take their eyes of me, little did I knew that It was how I looked was interesting for the 98% of the population.  I am used to people looking at me differently but recently especially after the failed New York attack I am getting lot more attention and gaze then I anticipated.

Hard to Imagine we all look so much similar but still we are miles apart when it comes to how we feel. Recently I have been noticing that lots of eyes following me for good or bad, I can't help to smile at them and I question myself why am I conscious? why does this bother me?
Though I have meet few kind souls since the failed attack in New York, their eyes follow me in nooks and corners but after my pale smile they are left with no option but to smile back, it fills my heart with Joy that you don't differentiate a person by their skin or looks but by their deeds and few just walk away. I grew up as a minority in a places which was 98% Muslims and 2% Hindus, Sikhs and Christian and being born into a Sikh family you were always different then others, You are taught to live to the expectations of all others and help anyone who needs it. This act of generosity and care might freak out few especially in West,  why are you doing this? what you want?.. nothing really this is how I was brought up would be a chocked response, well you learn and adopt to live under circumstances but few appreciate who get to know you.

I remember as a child whenever I traveled by Bus I felt if I was the only protector of helpless and week and often we will hear that a Sikh around makes surroundings comfortable, even the Muslim women felt safer in presence of a Sikh then the people of their own religion.
I remember visiting a village which was few miles away from the major city but kids in the locality had never seen a Sikh before, some one who wears turban, it was a caravan of little boys chasing our motorcycle and calling others come see a Sikh ..... it was little awkward but when we stopped and said hello and they said how they felt that the Sikhs were the protectors and I myself was a little kid and I felt very empowered that I was a protector? that day onwards I sort of grew out of the childhood and became a matured man despite being a nine year old.
I tried to follow what others expected of a Sikh, turban a sign of honor and symbol of a protector always reminded me of what was expected of me rather what I wanted to do. Some times someone might praise you to the heights of the sky and then you wont be able to find way back to the reality that is what happened with me, but know if you are wearing a turban, it might take you many hours to get out of the airport, it took me fours to get out of the Honolulu Airport.
No one to blame but the circumstances and most of the people who issue threats wear Turban (Taliban) but these two turbans have no relation whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment